Friends of Newport’s Ornamental Parks
The Friends can trace their origin back to 2006 when open meetings were held about Belle Vue and Beechwood parks. It was from these meeting that the society was formed.
The objective of the organisation is the education of the public by the promotion, support, assistance and improvement of the two parks through the Friends’ activities. The desired outcome is to encourage greater appreciation and use of both of these parks by the whole community.
For further information contact Martyn Vaughan on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like us on Facebook:
The current line-up of officers is:
- Kerry Battrick – Chair
- Martyn Vaughan – Deputy Chair & Membership Secretary
- Jeanne Sawyer – Trip Organiser
- Brian Ingleson – Treasurer & Minutes Secretary
Belle Vue Park
Belle Vue was opened in September 1894 at the cost of £19,500 on land presented to Newport Council by Lord Tredegar in 1891. The leading Edwardian Landscape Architect Thomas Mawson won the competition for the design of the gardens. Mawson was also responsible for the gardens at Dyffryn House in Glamorgan and the gardens for the Palace of Peace in the Hague in the Netherlands.
Belle Vue is Listed as Grade II and covers 26 acres on the western side of the city. It won the prestigious Green Flag Award for the 2008/9 season.
Grade II Listed Beechwood House was built in 1877 and is the former private home of George Fothergill, a tobacco Importer and former Mayor of Newport.
The park was opened to the public in July 1900 and covers over 30 acres on the eastern side of the city.